Tuesday 22 March 2011

Chile

Looks like I'm off to Santiago de Chile in a couple of months. This'll be good as I haven't had much opportunity to practise my Spanish recently. Still, it'll also mean I won't see Mrs. F or the Fingernails for three weeks unless I get Skype sorted out before I leave.

This kind of trip is so much easier when you're single. In fact, you don't even give it a second thought. I whizzed around the world back in the eighties and '90's without so much as a by-your-leave (???!! Is that how it's written? I've never taken the trouble to look) but now, the thought of even 24 hours without my family makes me physically sick. OK, so don't do it, some would cry. But you need to, I'd scream back. Not every day, not even every month, but you have to be a bit unfaithful to your employer in order to bring new experiences and insights back which then benefit your regular workplace. It also helps you improve as a musician, but I mentioned this in a previous post. This behaviour doesn't apply to relationships, though. At any rate, I'm not willing to find out.

1 comment:

Ksam said...

Contrary to your Paris post, I do agree with you on this 100%. :)

I am gone at least two weeks per month for work, and when I was single, it wasn't a problem. Now that I'm not, it's getting harder and harder to leave every week. And when I think about how much more difficult it will be once we have kids.... Aiƫ!