Friday 25 March 2011

Autographs

Having mentioned St. Petersburg in the last post, here's a funny story connected to that extraordinary city:

Back in 1993, a group of us from work were in St. Petersburg, Russia, auditioning singers for a production of The Phantom of the Opera. One evening, I sat down to catch up on some correspondance, sending one of the letters to a certain Herrn Krueger. I can't for the life of me remember who he was and the only reason I'm thinking of his name now is because he put the letter I wrote up for auction on eBay Austria and Germany, presumably assuming I'm as famous now as I was in the early to mid-1990's. There was a period when my name was a reference in the conducting of musicals, but life, career directions and memories have moved on and the only heads I cause to turn are those of Rom beggars round our local market, who seem to equate my blond hair and arrogant demeanour with unbounded wealth. If only they knew.

No comments: