Tuesday 5 April 2011

George Best. 'Nuff said.

Continuing my little series of 20th Century footballing legends, here's one you'd find in everyone's Top Five. He was also playing in the first match I ever went to, Chelsea v. Manchester United at Stamford Bridge, August 18th, 1971. Here are the details:

http://www.aboutmanutd.com/man-u-matches/18-08-1971-chelsea.html

I'd just turned nine and this evening out was magical. I was invited by our Northern Irish next-door neighbours, the Hourigans. Bizarrely, we stood in The Shed End, Eamonn and family waving their red and white scarves. Even at that age I found it a bit foolhardy, but nothing happened. It was the only time I saw George Best, Bobby Charlton, Peter Osgood and the rest of that legendary blue and red line-up, but it marked me for life. From that moment on, I was a Manchester United fan. George also got sent off for throwing mud at the referee, a seminal gesture in an otherwise well-behaved generation of players. Except for those white-shirted thugs comprising Don Revie's Leeds United, that is. What memories these personalities evoke; I'm sorry, but it's just not the same anymore. This is one area where nostalgia is warranted.

No comments: